Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Motherhood

A co-worker recently told me that motherhood has changed me. He meant it in a negative way, meaning I’m not cool, fun or easy-going anymore. I decided to look at how motherhood has changed me and thank Andrew for making me the person I am. The person I believe is a better human being than she was six months ago.

Motherhood has made me laugh…like when I see Drew accidently “flicking me off.” He doesn’t know what finger he’s holding up but it’s still funny.

Motherhood has made me cry…when you see your helpless little baby inside an incubator in the NICU with tubes in his nose and wires attached to his tiny little legs and you know this is the best and worst moment of your life all at once.

Motherhood has made me smile…when Drew smiles or giggles or talks or looks at me…almost anything he does can bring a smile to my face.

Motherhood has made me learn to not sweat the small stuff…like things at work I can’t control or people who seem to want to create drama…no matter what happens during the hours I’m away from Drew, none of that matters when I walk through the door and see him.

Motherhood has made me take time….some of the best moments of my day are in the early morning hours, when it’s just Drew and I awake. Just holding him can make all my troubles go away.

Motherhood has made me strong…things I never thought I’d be able to handle have suddenly become a breeze and things that used to seem like the most important things, now have no meaning.

Motherhood has made me honest…about who I am and who I want to be.

Motherhood has made me caring…at times we’ve all been cruel to those around us. I realize that and I apologize to those I’ve hurt.

But most of all motherhood has taught me how to love. How to love without limits, without restrictions, without expecting anything in return, without boundaries and without knowing what will happen next.

To those who think motherhood has taken anything away from me, I’d like to object. I think it’s given me more than I could have ever imagined and for that I’m so thankful. Thank you, Drew!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, great post Jen. You summed it up so very well. Motherhood is so amazing, wonderful and better than I ever imagined.

Bob said...

It's also made you unbearably schmaltzy. God, I need some insulin now.

And, for anyone else who sees this comment, I was NOT the co-worker who said that motherhood has changed Jen. At least not in a negative way.

Anonymous said...

Bravo Jennifer. Couldn't have said it better myself.