Saturday, May 31, 2008

Reflection

Today is Drew's official five month birthday. Five months ago, delivering Drew was the last thing on my mind. I figured I still had six weeks to go before he'd be here and there was so much to still do. I started feeling really sick around Christmas Eve. I barely remember the holiday events with our families over that week. I do remember being so thirsty I couldn't drink enough water, but food was the last thing on my mind. I spent much of that week in between Christmas and New Years in bed. I called the doctor on Dec. 26 and told him I felt sick. He gave me some medicine in an attempt to keep some food down...it didn't work. By Saturday Dec. 29 I felt like I was dying. I told Mike I needed to go to the ER. At that time I really just thought I'd spend a few hours in the hospital on an IV and then be on my way. But that wasn't the case. I was transferred to St. John's Mercy Medical Center and then hooked up to a monitor to keep an eye on my blood pressure and Drew's heart rate. After what seemed like a lifetime, we had to do an emergency C-section. Drew was in danger because my blood pressure was dropping too low and waiting could have been deadly for both of us. Before I knew it, my little man was here...and rushed to the NICU before I even had a chance to see him. After a day or two on very heavy drugs...I honestly can't remember much of what happened those two days...I was finally able to see him. He was just this little tiny thing, only 4 pounds 4 ounces and he had a feeding tube in his nose and monitor wires all over his body. He looked helpless, but then when I held him for the first time, he had my heart from that first moment. It was amazing and everyday since has been wonderful. I truly am blessed and he's done so great. From the scary beginning of being a preemie, he has come a long way. His growth and development is outstanding and he amazes me everyday. Happy five month birthday, little man!

No comments: